Sunday, August 2, 2009

connecting

I remember the year 1968 so well ,and what a task it was to reach someone from a distance. My husband went to Viet Nam 3 weeks after we were married. That was when you bought air mail stamps and hoped your letters made it to there destination. Also, we talked once,him there ,me here, by phone ,actually by radio,you know ,over,hello over. And for Christmas that year I sent him a tape recorder so he and I could send tapes to each other, it was such a awesome connection for the two of us. Still we wrote long letters, once over 30 pages!! Today the guys at war or in far away places,serving our country, can instantly send a message.WOW .......I don't know.... waiting every day for my sweethearts letters, listening to those tapes over and over again and again,some how we really got to know each other,really connected. I never thought then that a day would come when I could say those days were happy ones,but they were.Today,41 years later, we are happily together.Iguess our first year we connected pretty well!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Love this story! Sometimes I think all of the new technology has taken alot away from the surprise and excitment from 'getting a letter' and 'hearing from a friend'. Ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. please keep writing on this! i LOVE reading. you always have such fabulous things to say!!!!!

    ~ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this. and sometimes wish things were still that way! except when i am getting to talk to Blake so often :)

    ReplyDelete